Thursday, July 31, 2008

LEDs in Anchortown

Anchorage is zooming ahead of Fairbanks in a big green way: LEDs for streetlights instead of those horribly orange, putrid things we have to deal with up here. In March, Mayor Begich hosted the National Street Lighting Conference (who knew there was such a thing? and actually, rummaging around on the web, I can't find any Official Mention other than the press release and a few possible mentions in the Anchorage Daily News archives, which I can't get to since I'd have to pay actual cash for it), where LED manufacturers were invited up.

It looks like they're going to go through with it, and install 16,000 of them, which is estimated to save $360,000 per year in replacement and electricity costs.

Not only that, the mayor has introduced a Sustainable Building Ordinance to the Anchorage assembly (public hearings in August). Something like this would be reasonable up here in the Fairbanks North Star Borough, I'd think. I haven't been able to find the text of the proposed ordinance online yet, though. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: