Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Run-off election expense at GVEA

One of the concerns of the nomination committee, as cited in the article in the News-Miner today, was "the cost of a run-off election". This was apparently why they narrowed the field down to two candidates.

Well, the utility could always institute Instant Run-Off Voting, you know. Lots of organizations do it. I wrote about this issue in an editorial on the Fairbanks city mayoral election, and here it comes up again in a different place. Looks like GVEA could do with IRVing, too.

2 comments:

Tania said...

Oh, come come now. Dontcha know that the masses are too stoopid to understand how IRV works?

Any news on Tom's petition? I spread the word to my friends that live in District 2, but I live in Schikora's district, so I can't sign. Sigh.

Deirdre Helfferich said...

I think he's got at least half of the signatures he needs, but I'm not positive about that.

I'm not sure when the annual meeting is; it doesn't say on the GVEA website. (The 60th meeting videos are up, although apparently there's nothing so mundane as minutes on that page, just "innings"--o gag me with a spoon on WAY too much cutesyness.) I suppose we could suggest IRV there. Or perhaps to our current board members.