Sunday, January 13, 2008

A little Alaska Press Club problem

Well, it's the middle of the night, and both Hans and I are suffering from insomnia. I've brought a bunch of the last year's worth of The Ester Republic down with me so that I could sort through them and choose submissions for the annual Alaska Press Club awards. So I got on the computer to download the guidelines and discovered that the deadline is January 21! We don't get back until January 24, so this is going to pose a little problem. It also means that I will be unable to submit photos, because they don't take tearsheets for photo entries anymore. Since (luckily) I decided not to do the choosing at the last minute and do it while I was down here, and I did bring my checkbook, I'll be able to submit the articles and cartoons. But the photographers are going to have to do it themselves. Certain people's photos I really wanted to submit: Monique Musick (she got an award last year); Jen Landry's wonderful photos of Goldstream iced over and people walking in it (cover of 9.4), and of her husband, Larry, canoeing through their yard (9.5); and others. I'm going to have to go through the papers and contact the people whose work I think should be submitted, and see if they are willing to take care of that themselves.

No comments: